Windows GPS map setup¶
To view the computer maps, you must have Garmin’s free mapping program, called BaseCamp, installed on your computer. If you do NOT yet have Garmin BaseCamp installed on your computer, then follow these steps to install it.
Click Here to download Garmin BaseCamp for Windows PC.
Navigate to the location of the downloaded installer file (BaseCamp_###.exe). The default location is the Downloads folder.
Double click on the file to open and run the BaseCamp installer. Follow the prompts to complete the installation
Please exit BaseCamp before installing the computer maps.
A.) Download Computer Maps Installer
- Log into your account on our website, create a new account if you don’t have one.
- From the menu on the left hand side, click on MY GPS ACCOUNT.
- Scroll down to below where it asks you to register product, and find the name of your product (“Province Name - SD [V#]”).
- Click on the OPEN/DOWNLOAD text, to the right of your product’s name.
- Under the heading FREE COMPUTER MAPS, click on the button Download for Mac or Download for PC.
- Save the file to a known location on your computer, like Desktop or Downloads.
B.) Install Computer Maps
1. Insert your MicroSD into your computer or plug in your GPS unit with the card inserted using a USB cable. This will give you a drive called BRMB_##v6, if your using your GPS unit it will also display your Garmin as a drive letter.
- After the download is finished, navigate to the location of the downloaded ZIP file. The default location is the Downloads folder.
- Right click on the zip file and select “extract all” to extract the files.
- Double click on the Application file named BRMB####_v6.exe (#### represents your province)
- You will get a window with a welcome screen to start your installation.
- Follow the prompts until you get to the following window.
- Select your Drive from the dropdown menu, this will copy your unlock file on the SD card into basecamp to unlock the maps when you click Next. If you do not see your Drive letter in the list you can use the browse button to navigate to the MicroSD cards Garmin folder Select your .gma file and click Next to copy it to basecamp and unlock your maps.
Unlock your Maps¶
If you dint use the installer to unlock your maps you can do it manually by importing the .gma file into Garmin Basecamp.
- To Unlock your maps in basecamp you will need your .GMA file, this file is located on your SD card inside the Garmin folder or can be downloaded from your user acount.
- Open Garmin BaseCamp. If you get the message “Locked maps detected”, you can click the Unlock Maps button and then skip directly to step 4.
- Otherwise, go to the Maps Menu and click on Manage Map Products...
- Click on the tab labeled “Unlock Regions”.
- On the far right hand side, click on the Import button.
- A new Window will appear. In the bottom right corner, click on the file type drop-down menu labeled “Unlock Code Files (.ucx)” and change it to “Unlock Code Files (.gma)”
- Navigate to the location of the SD card and double click on the Garmin folder to open it, if you downloaded your .gma file navigate to the directory it was saved to. (downloads folder is the default)
- Click on the file that ends in .gma.
- Click the Open button. If successful, a line will be added with text “Region unlock code from” which indicates that your maps are now unlocked.
- You can also click the Map Product Information tab to see the maps will now show as unlocked
- Close the Map Product Manager window.
- Close BaseCamp and restart it.
- Click on the “Maps” menu. If there is no check mark next to the latest version of “Backroad Mapbooks v#.0” then click on it to select it and display our maps. If the latest version appears twice, please click on the one that ends with (INSTALLED).